Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Start of school

I can't believe school is right around the corner; 3 weeks away. We have a lot of new changes this coming year as well. Of course there's the much talked about Common Core. We integrated Common Core into Math last year so this year we have a little more confidence with it. I believe we integrate Common Core ELA next school year (13-14) so this year will be spent in trainings. We also adopted a new reading series, which the training for was yesterday. I really do enjoy change, because I think it's necessary to keep up with the world in education, however I think too much change is ineffective. Along with our new Reading series we're also adopting a new approach to teach ELA. We are going with a balanced literacy approach, which focuses on small group instruction and literacy centers. Fountas and Pinnell wrote this approach and most of our district has adopted it.
And then there's my Calendar Math, which thank God they haven't changed because it might be the only thing I'm comfortable with this coming year.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are going to have a busy year implementing new techniques. I wish the beat with the implementation because it will be very stressful. I guess the main concern is to get the students involved and on target!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will agree that 3 weeks is not a great amount of time. I get to start meeting on the 13th CCS with math. Not looking forward, but anxious to get started again if that makes any sense. Totally agree with you on the change thing. I would like to have just one year, start to finish where I can focus on teaching and getting better at teaching rather than implementing something new every semester. Some of that is my doing, but most is directed. Good luck with the new curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We started doing Balanced Literacy a few years ago too, the same time we adopted EveryDay Math. New programs being implemented together are scary! I love how your school gives you the professional development early enough that you are comfortable with it rather than two or three days before you are supposed to start using it in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to have so many new things. I just switched schools and career so there is so much I need to try and catch up on. I don't think I will be up to speed until 3 years into the position. Oh well...I guess we need to just keep on keeping on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am lucky to not start school until after labor day, so i have a little more time than most to get my year ready. Implementing new items can be a daunting task, but once your students learn the new expectations, things will flow smoothly.

    Chad

    ReplyDelete