Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Really?!?!

This is going to be a "I need to vent" blog post. I went into school on Monday to check out the new books we're getting for the new reading series we adopted. Just a side note, school starts for us next Thursday (16th). So, I went in and found our Adminstrative Assisstant who handles all the books for the school. Come to find out all the books (140 boxes worth) have not been taken out of the boxes. Not a since box was opened. So I won't be getting a head start on organizing over 180 leveled readers.
So then I figure I might as well get something done while I was at school, as not to make it a wasted trip. And this (the picture to your left) is what I walked in on. My classroom. Desks, chairs, book baskets, book shelves, pillows, rugs, etc all piled up in the middle of my classroom.
Now, every year we ask the custodians if they could put our furniture back in the place they got it after they wax our floors. And every year they say it's not a problem. AND every year this is what we walk into. I just don't understand. Especially since we have to find the custodians to help us move the big furniture around anyways, wouldn't it save time for them to help us out while they're already moving it back into the classroom?
I need a dolly.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh, Stacy, I feel your frustration! That is the worst part about coming back to school for me--putting the room back together! Do the teachers start on the 16th or the students are back on that day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. teachers start back on the 16th and students come back on the 22nd. Luckily we have 4 days to prepare for the start of school, but we all know we spend most of those days in meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand your frustration. I have been blessed with some amazing staff members at my school. Our head custodian is often doing things that she does not need to do in order to make the school a better place. For example, she once replaced cushion on some chairs for a colleague. Not out of the ordinary, but she did this on her own time, with her own money, and made the cushions with the logo of his favorite NFL team. A little something that was not needed, but added some "coolness" to the room. I feel it is easier to put things back where they belong. Good luck in organizing before kids show up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness Stacy. I don't want to see my room at all. The truth is that we will be in meetings instead of working in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick - that's great! Sounds like your surrounded with a great support staff.
    Fay - good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate that! I went to school recently to hold a team meeting for our FIRST Lego League robotics team and found a mountain of boxes burying my desk. It's all new equipment that I need to set up and inventory, besides setting up my classroom. We have only 2 weeks until school starts and this week the school is closed for waxing the floors. I wish they would do this early in the summer so we can pop in and make preparations without having to wait until the last minute to put our rooms back together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is definently frustrating to come back to work that you don't plan on, or really have time for. I am fortunate, like nick, to have a great support staff. At least they are good to me, but not everyone in my building. I butter them up with gifts and help them when they need it. Now whenever i need something it is done right away. I'm not bragging, I am just fortunate to have good people to work with. Hope your school year goes well.

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry:( Often I get back with the same visual, all of the desks shoved in one corner. And this year we are getting a new reading series as well, and we were told not to come back until the 14th, which has passed, but I need to focus on getting better and this class. Keep Strong :)

    ReplyDelete