Monday, July 9, 2012

The day before

The time has finally come... I'm presenting Calendar Math tomorrow during Summer Academy. I've practiced all morning and I think  I have everything ready to go. I've practiced speaking slowly, which is my biggest problem. I don't know why this happens but as soon as I get up infront of people it's like I'm in a speed talking competition.

I have to say that I've learned more this year by digging deeper into Every Day Counts: Calendar Math. EDC is a balance of concepts, skills, and problem solving. It involves teachers and students, it puts an emphasis on numbers and it wraps around any core program. (That's my introduction for tomorrow)

To teach calendar math effectively teachers need to ask themselves: Am I teaching the children? Not, am I teaching the program.

Well, wish me luck! I'm going in. I'll post later this week and let you all know how it went. I know you're sitting on the edge of your seats! :)

2 comments:

  1. Well good luck in your presentation! I am interested to see how this went for you. I found out yesterday that I providing a half day in-service for the math teachers in my building right before school starts regarding the common core standards. Should be interesting, if not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My supervisors want me to start presenting at workshops, but I have too much fun learning at workshops, I feel like I would be missing out. I also get very nervous in front of crowds that I am not familiar with. I think a solution for me will be creating digital presentations that I can share throughout the district. Maybe I'll present at the district-wide workshop day in the spring, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete