Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Calendar Math

In one week I'll be teaching first year teachers about the importance of Every Day Counts, Calendar Math. This will be my third year teaching at Summer Academy. It never fails how nervous I get about this, which I find to be very strange, because I teach little people for a living! Why is it so different than teaching adults? I feel like I'm back in high school and I need to get up in front of my peers and give some sort of presentation. I can see it now, I'm going to get up there and before I even introduce myself I'm going to turn bright red and the temperature in the room is going to hit about 100 degrees. Now, tell me this, how are these first year teachers supposed to take me seriously and truely believe that I've been fully trained in this if I can't spit out an introduction without turning into a tomato?

Aside from that, it is very well researched that Calendar Math is a great resource for Math curriculum.
Here is a link to the Calendar Math kit we use in Greenville County.

6 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting blog to me because I use calendar math everyday in my classroom. I like the products you use. Our Calendar time is a little differet because it is mainly from Debbie Diller math book and we use calendar notebooks. It was neat to see what other teachers do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be bright red and nervous too even though I know what I am talking about. I do not do well speaking in front of adults, but kids are just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I could use this for 7th grade, but I can tell you both my kids who did something like this in K-2 talked about it all the time. The activities that happened each day were great! I am always impressed by primary grade teachers and their creativity.

    I wish I could give you some sage advice for speaking in front of folks. I don' mind speaking, and I love playing in front of folks...the only piece of advice (and it is not really advice) is to practice, practice, practice. I still get a little nervous every time I take the stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a link or a calendar designed to use on the Smart Board or Promethean Board? I like to do mine whole group using the IWB. I've downloaded some from Promethean Planet.

    Wondered if you had anything more engaging?

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy -
    I have a flipchart designed for each month and all the elements involved. The files are on my school computer though. I'll probably head into school within the next 2 or 3 weeks. Once I head in there I'll upload the file here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice :) I teach third graders and they often need to revisit calendar time, so thank you for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete